Note: the deadline for the JavaFXpert RIA Exemplar Challenge has been extended to 30 days after the JavaFX 1.3 SDK has been released. See this post for the rationale.
I posed the question "Should There be Enterprise RIA Style Guidelines?" in late 2008, and received some valuable feedback/discussion. Based upon that feedback, I'm replacing my question with the following challenge:
"Create an application in JavaFX that exemplifies the appearance and behavior of a next-generation enterprise RIA (rich internet application)".
Here are the rules to this JavaFXpert RIA Exemplar Challenge:
1) Each application must be created with the JavaFX 1.3 SDK.
2) The code must be offered as open source, in the form of the updated Berkeley Software Distribution License. The code for the winning entry will be added to the open source JFXtras project samples library.
3) The entries must be submitted in the form of a NetBeans or an Eclipse project within 30 days after the JavaFX 1.3 SDK has been released, to email@example.com. The entries will be judged by two JavaFX developers (Jim Weaver and Stephen Chin), and two graphics designers (Jasper Potts and Romain Guy). The criteria for judging will be how well we feel that the entry "exemplifies the appearance and behavior of a next-generation enterprise RIA".
4) The winning entry will be announced within three weeks after the deadline on this JavaFXpert.com blog.
5) The prize is a cash award of USD 2000, and will be awarded after the winner is announced.
6) This contest uses the same age and country of residence criteria that Sun did in their JavaFX Coding Challenge. See this excerpt from the following web page http://javafx.com/challenge/faq.jsp
"All Entrants must be of majority legal age in their country and a legal resident of one of the following countries; Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Egypt, a European Union member state, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Malaysia, Panama, Peru, the Philippines, Russia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Thailand, Taiwan, Turkey, Ukraine, United States, and Venezuela."
If you have any questions about this contest, please leave a comment on this blog post.
Thanks, and have fun with the contest!